This is a collection of command line tools for processing TZX files.
TZX is a common file format for preserving computer tapes of the ZX Spectrum, but also Amstrad CPC and C64.
tzxtools mainly supports ZX Spectrum TZX files, but raw file operations can be applied on any TZX file. It also supports TSX files, which are mainly used for MSX.
- Convert your old ZX Spectrum tape recordings into TZX files.
- List, split, merge, and divide the blocks inside TZX files.
- Extract binary content from TZX blocks.
- Read hex dumps, disassembled Z80 machine code, or ZX Spectrum BASIC code.
- Convert ZX Spectrum screens to PNG files.
- Generate TAP files for ZX Spectrum Next and some emulators.
- Disassembler also supports all undocumented Z80 instructions and Z80N (ZX Spectrum Next) instructions.
- Also supports TSX Kansas City Standard blocks.
All the tzxtools are written in Python 3.
pip install tzxtools
tzxcat- Extracts data from a TZX file. Optionally disassembles, hex dumps or converts blocks to PNG.
tzxcleanup- Removes all clutter and leaves a clean tape file.
tzxcut- Cuts blocks from a TZX file.
tzxls- Lists the contents of a TZX file.
tzxmerge- Concatenates multiple TZX files into one file.
tzxplay- Plays back a TZX file for loading into real hardware.
tzxsplit- Splits a TZX file into separate programs.
tzxtap- Converts a TZX file to TAP file format.
tzxwav- Converts WAV file ZX Spectrum tape recordings to TZX files.
TZX and TSX File Format References
The TZX File Format is specified at World of Spectrum.
The TSX "ID 4B - Kansas City Standard" block is not a part of the specification. A documentation can be found at the makeTSX wiki.